Tuesday 29 May 2012

About Crossing the entry barrier to World of FOSS


Yes, finally i started contributing to Free and Open Source Software.From long i had this urge to be one and contribute to open source software.But one of my pesky attributes "procrastination" pulled me from this worlds of bliss.Morosely same attribute delayed this blog post.

My entry barrier to FOSS
  For the first time i was having discussion on IRC and mailing list of organization and enjoying a lot.Then Olly  asked for a patch which i could show them and make them confident about my familiarity with Xapian and other tools.Bewildered as i was just in thoughts about making a patch and submitting but procrastinated it till then.So, i prepared my back and started working for the prototype of my implementation for UnigramLMWeight and as i believe once started nothing is difficult(if you have patience) worked on patch with full thrust and within less than 48 hour made a working patch and submitted to Xapian. Submission of patch gave me immense pleasure and joy.

 Overall i used to feel before in era of procastination that IRC discussion,Git,Patch,discussion for a open source tool were something out of league and used to maintain a distance with them but now i really enjoy them and feel used to.Applying for GSOC initself was a colossal learning experience, That i cannot find words for defining my learning experience as project progress. And really excited about more experience that come in this remaining coding period.
 
Motivation for working
 I was really doubtful about getting this project being novice and moreover maintaing distance from tool and ettiquette of Open source.But i feel reason for selection in GSOC was only that i maintained a spirit "I don't care about selection in GSOC,I just want do this project and will anyhow do it selected/rejected.So dont hesitate or be bewildered about things just do it in the wright way you think".



Overall i would really like to thank Xapian Community esp. Olly Betts for giving me chance to enter in world of FOSS and helping me constantly learn ettiquette of FOSS.Apart from Xapian Community would like to thank my special Prof. Prasenjit Majumder for Introducing me to Infromation retreival and really more than half of Credit for to him,All my firends who help,motivated me during Proposal stage Abhijeet,Ranveer,Khushboo di,Nitesh,Anurakt,kushal,swair,anna and many more.I was always on Door of Abhijeet and Ranveer with all boring task of reviewing mails and Proposal and they were mostly ready to review it with little resistance.

Having fun-filled and enjoyable Summer(Best Summer) with

2 comments:

  1. a very similar experience while applying ! and thanks for the mention :P . Enjoy the summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. excellent writing...You can do it and you will do it :D all the best! enjoy your fun-filled ride.. :)

    ReplyDelete